Read Assigned Chapters (10 -12)
Grievances: Definition, Sources, and Significance
Steps in the Grievance Procedure
Grievance Resolution: Relationships and Flexibility
The Union’s Duty of Fair Representation
Read the Arbitration Scenario on page 536 for a discussion in class the week of February 21st, 2022.
See page 527 and answer two (2) of the five (5) questions.
1. Discuss two reasons grievances might be filed, furnishing examples of these reasons other than those found in a text.
2. Why is it difficult for union and management officials to resolve each grievance on its own merits?
Development of Labor Arbitration
Elements of a Typical Arbitration Proceeding
Comparison of Arbitration and Judicial Proceedings
The Arbitrator’s Decision
Current Issues Affecting Arbitration
See page 581 and answer three (3) of the nine (9) questions.
1. How did World War II and the National War Labor Board greatly expand the use of arbitration?
2. Discuss two decision-making guidelines used by arbitrators, furnishing specific examples(not mentioned in the text) of how these guidelines apply.
3. Do you believe that labor unions should use the benefits of labor arbitration as part of the union’s strategy to recruit new members? Give your reasons.
The Changing Significance of Industrial Discipline
Elements of the Just Cause Principle in Employee Discipline
See page 630 and answer two (2) of the six (6) questions.
1. Why is discipline the most significant issue for union and management? Describe how this significance has shifted over time.
2. Although not subject to judicial scrutiny, evidence in an arbitration hearing still has its complexities. Discuss related considerations that could be involved in an arbitration hearing involving an employee who was discharged for smoking marijuana on the job.
Your paper should be 2-3 pages in length (not including your cover page and reference page) and based on your own unique composition.
Include examples in your discussion.
Adhere to APA standards and use APA guidelines to cite references.
Correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation are expected.
PLEASE NOTE, CHAPTERS 10, 11 & 12 ARE ONE ASSIGNMENT, NOT TWO SEPARATE PAPERS. SO THIS MEANS THAT YOU WILL HAVE MORE THAN A SINGLE 3 PAGES ASSIGNMENT. THEY MAYBE 2 – 3 PAGES EACH.